The 300m Aspire Tower, built for the Asian games in 2006. Very close to where we live, its the landmark that we use when we get lost in Doha, you can see it from just about anywhere in town.Doha has a beautiful skyline and once everything is finally complete and all the cranes have been dismantled it will look even more impressive. Over the course of a few weeks I have gone downtown and taken pictures of some of the more impressive structures and then done my best to find their names. Most are office buildings housing a variety of companies and government ministries..
I guess when we first arrived and I we took our first walk downtown I was stunned at how new all the architecture was and the cutting edge of the design. When we left for Qatar I was expecting there would be office buildings of course, but not like this. It is fascinating to strole downtown and study the various buildings. The only critism would be that its getting cluttered and sometimes its hard to see the individual beauty of each building.
The Tornado Tower (2008) has 52 floors and 200m.I guess when we first arrived and I we took our first walk downtown I was stunned at how new all the architecture was and the cutting edge of the design. When we left for Qatar I was expecting there would be office buildings of course, but not like this. It is fascinating to strole downtown and study the various buildings. The only critism would be that its getting cluttered and sometimes its hard to see the individual beauty of each building.
Also known as the QIPCO Tower

Al Bidda tower 43 floors and 215 mis wider at the top than at he base and appears to twist as you move your eyes upwards


The tower on the right that looks like a giant, a giant, gimmee a second, it will come to me, oh yeah, narwal! The Burj Tower is 44 floors or 232 m

The front of the ??? building, couldnt find the name but I liked the fact that you can see through it.

I believe these buildings belong to the ministry of tourism, these seem to defy the laws of physics.
The Barzan tower ( 2000) 22 floors. The structure at the base is not a seperate building but part of the facade of the tower. A cool optical illusion
The following pictures were taken by a colleague of mine Tim Dorn. They capture the beauty of Doha from the water. Gorgeous shots!

A very futuristic look, like you stepped into a Flash Gordon movie and then a dhow (boat) reminds you exactly of where you are.















6 comments:
This has been a wonderful tour , Barry. many thanks. Aorry we could not be there in person.
Love from Mom and Dad.
We are so fortunate to be experiencing this beautiful country first hand. The buildings are what attract me the most. My motto ever since I got to Dubai is" If you think it we will build it" Very appropos don't you think? Your pix are great! Congrats on the soccer too.
Very interesting Barry...i kinda like the building with the disco ball suspended in the middle....go figure.
hugs
JM
pretty impressive
Hi,The law says every Business setup in Qatar shall be established by a Qatari national and its headquarters shall be in Qatar.Thanks.....
Post a Comment